Daisypath Wedding tickers

Seeing Like A Man

>> Sunday, May 23, 2010

Recently, I got into a discussion with my Mom about self-image vs. how our husbands see us. I hope you have husband like we have. I really do. You see, my ex-husband wasn't like that them. Not only did he not discourage my view of myself, his view was worse.

My Dad calls his house from work, and asks to talk to "that hot woman." My Mom does what many women out there do...she rolls her eyes and tells him she hasn't seen one, but she'll be sure to keep an eye out. My husband, when I ask for an opinion on what I'm wearing, says I look beautiful, no matter what the outfit is. They sincerely see us as beautiful, no matter what. Big & pregnant, dealing with post-pregnancy belly-sag, sick with the flu...their opinion doesn't change.

How about yours? I know mine does. I have days where I manage to find the shirt that drapes perfectly to disguise the post-pregnancy belly, and I get my makeup just right, and the planets align just so, and I feel gorgeous. Then there's the other 364 days of the year, where I think I look just plain blah. But it occurs to me, in doubting our own beauty, we unintentionally insult at least 2 people.

Your husband is one. Just hear me out. Your husband loves you right? Chose to be with you for life? He thinks you're the most beautiful woman out there. When you think of yourself as ugly, or plain, or whatever your adjective of choice, you're subconsciously saying that you think he has bad taste. After all, he chose you, and you're not pretty..so he must just be crazy right?

The other, is our heavenly Father. He created you on purpose, for a purpose. He thinks of you as not only beautiful, but precious. By all means, workout, eat right, learn how to do your makeup right for your face, wear clothes that are appropriate for you & make you feel fabulous, but do not look in the mirror and despair. Remember how He feels about you, and make an effort to feel that way about yourself.

You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in  you. - Song of Solomon 4:7 (ESV)

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP